Thursday, April 23, 2009

Removing McAfee Security Center "Scan"

My Experience:
McAfee Security Center made this terrible little "Scan" option that appears when you right click pretty much anything in Window Explorer. This shortcut in the context menu is just another annoying thing to pass when trying to get to something I want to use, since I scan all of my files on a schedule. I wanted it to be gone once and for all, but couldn't find a simple option within the program.


The Cause:
The virus scan program puts a few pesky little registry keys in your registry in order for these to show up.


The Fix:
This fix requires editing the registry and should be done with caution.
  1. Type "regedit" in your start menu search box and press enter.
  2. Navigate to "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\" and delete the folder called McCtxMenu
  3. Navigate to "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\" and delete the folder called McCtxMenu
  4. Exit the registry editor and you're done!

My Results:
No more annoying Scan button and no adverse effects!

No comments:

Post a Comment