Sunday, April 19, 2009

Event ID 4100 :: Windows Backup

My Problem:
I was unable to back up my C drive onto my external hard drive by using the windows backup and restore system. I received the following error, and this is what was found in the Event Viewer:

Source: Windows Backup
Event ID: 4100

File backup failed because a shadow copy could not be created. The system might be low on resources. The error is: The writer experienced a transient error. If the backup process is retried, the error may not reoccur. (0x800423F3).

The Cause:
There are multiple causes for this error,


The Fix [note that this issue has several causes and several solutions]:
  • Turn off the automatic backup before doing a manual update.
  • Disable the back up service by typing services in the start menu and changing the "Windows Backup" service from being automatic and also stopping it.
  • Delete all previous backups and shadow copies by...

My Results:
I had automatic backup disabled and cleared

No comments:

Post a Comment