Sunday, April 19, 2009

Logitech MX400

My Experience:
I recently bought a Logitech MX400 mouse for the joy of having a back button for the internet. I soon discovered that the scrolling function of the mouse is slightly buggy with the 4 way scrolling or side scrolling. I used the mouse to scroll and when I started typing, it was displaying the characters almost backwards. In reality, it was as if the mouse was a perpetual right arrow being pressed on the keyboard. Obviously, typing backwards can't be tolerated, or restarting your machine every time it happens. But don't throw out your good looking new mouse so soon!

The Cause:
It tends to happen to me when I press both down and to the right side simultaneously or quickly after one another. I've never had it happen with the left side, but I suspect it could. It's faulty hardware in the first place to make it so wobbly from side to side.

The Fix
:
In my case of perpetual right movement of the cursor, the solution is simply to move it to the right side like you're side scrolling and release it. To prevent it from happening as often in teh future and to scroll the right direction when you wnat to scroll, you should click the scroll wheel from the top towards you. In other words, you should place your finger on the part of the wheel closest to your monitor and push back towards you. It's much easier to keep it from moving side to side when doing that rather than clicking on the middle of the scroll wheel.

My Results:
Every once in a while I get lazy and accidentally get it into backwards typing mode, but at least I know how to fix it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment